Sydney Thweatt

Letters from James and Lynette
September 11-18, 2007

Sydney Thweatt

September 11, 2007

Sydney had what seemed like a seizure. They stabilized her, and ran a battery of test. All test looked good until the last one. Sydney's brain is hemorrhaging.

As compassionately as possible, the doctor (attending physician) said, "We are moving Sydney by ambulance to the hospital across the street. The brain surgeon may not deem it in the best interest of the patient to operate. We are awaiting his answer. He may think it is hopeless. It may get to a point were you will need to decide whether you will put Sydney on life support or not. This doctor (AP), as with all the doctors (AP) we deal with; are always looking out and caring for our needs. They always try to anticipate what is right in front of us and prepares us as gently possible, for our next step or two. This was a gentle as it could be, considering what we were facing, but she had to prepare us.

The brain surgeon deemed it reasonable to try and sustain life, but could not be sure of the outcome. The trauma doctors were very kind and allowed us into the operating room. We stayed next to Sydney until the last possible moment.

Sydney came out of surgery better than expected. Over The next few days, many times, we were on the fence once again; if Sydney tilted the wrong way she would not survive.

September 14, 2007

Miraculously, they transferred us back to Memorial Hospital, where we are spoiled.

Sydney is in pain and has numerous complications, however brain damage seems little or maybe even none. I will try to get out a more detailed account as soon as possible.



September 16, 2007

Sydney had another bleed. This one tore thru the motor skills area, she is unable to move her left arm and leg. The left side of her face droops a little. We have had numerous painful (horrifying) meetings with doctors. They felt like it was best to not operate again and let it resolve itself. Sydney will let us know what is best.

September 18, 2007

Sydney is resting comfortable; she interacts with us for 20 seconds at a time. Her distinct feisty personality is clearly there. Sydney's body is beat to a pulp. Amazingly there is zero sign of her giving up. I would have given up over a year ago, if I were her. We met with the head Doctor, the incredibly optimistic General Patton of children's leukemia. We all cried, needless to say when Patton cries it's more than a little disturbing.

Aunt Becky and "the brothers" just arrived.



Dear friends,

I am not able to write in depth. By far, this has been the most devastating week of my life. One thing continues to come to my mind. Keep praying, never give up hope. Even the basic truths are very difficult to do when I look at Sydney. I want with all my heart for her to be the way I saw her in my dream. So all I know to do is to trust the Lord with all my heart, to not lean on my own understanding, and even through my tears to acknowledge Him and He does give me a peace. It is easily shaken unless I stay moment to moment. As much as I have fought it I know His will is best. I am still praying for a miracle. I think that is my main point, I am still praying and I hope the same for all of you. Not just for Sydney, but for every little thing in your life.

I thank you for all the prayers for our family,

God is carrying us,



Proverbs 3:5,6