Letter from James and Lynette
06/17/2006 11:35 PM
A couple of days ago the doctor told me that based on Sydney's blood work she should not feel this good, but she does. I am thrilled she is doing better than she should, but how long can that hold? Why doesn't her blood work improve? She is registering zero immunity function and no new blood production. Why is her bone marrow not recovering? It appeared to me the doctors were also getting a little concerned.
Thursday was a difficult day, waiting for encouraging test results that had been silent, day after day, for about two weeks. It felt like when Apollo 13 was coming back to earth after there near fatal mission. NASA kept calling, but no answer from the capsule. It appeared that they must have burnt up in reentry. Then you heard, "It's good to see you Houston," from the then thought lost spacecraft.
Well, when I awoke Friday morning, Lynette had a peace and calmness. She was confident God would not let her foot slip (Psalm 121). I did not share her confidence, and forced my way through the day. Upsetting and straining people around me. I did not care much, because my skin was crawling.
Then the doctor came in with a big smile and informed Aunt Becky that the blood work showed recovery with no sign of cancer. Today the results showed even better results. Thank you Lord.
Also I received word that my hospitalization had been worked out. It was nothing short of a miracle. I was positive it could not be worked out, but it was.
Friday, I talked to Dr. O'Reilly who heads up pediatric oncology at memorial Sloan Kettering, he and his team will be taking care of Sydney. I was encouraged by his prognosis. They are beginning to search for the donor.
Sometime this week Sydney will have a bone marrow biopsy. Test results will be in by Thursday we hope. Based on past medical experience the doctors are confident they will find cancer hiding in the bone marrow that the blood work can't see. Then they will need to do a second round of chemo. Chemo has many dangerous risks. Please pray for a medical miracle that no cancer will be found and no second round or bone marrow transplant will be necessary. I think from a medical standpoint, this is all but impossible.
Please pray . . .
- Sydney's blood work is recovering.
- Hospitalization worked out.
- Lynette's confidence in God and His clear communication with her.
- Test results show that Sydney's brothers are not predisposed to Leukemia.
- Sydney's has not run fever for over 72 hours and her energy is improved.
- Sydney's central line looks good and her cough is under control.
- We have clarity on the place to do the bone marrow, Memorial Sloan Kettering.
Your emails are always a source of encouragement. Thank you so much for your continued prayers,
- For Lauren's successful transplant.
- That Sydney's bone marrow continues to function correctly with no sign of cancer.
- That Sydney doesn't have to go through a second round of chemo.
- That the perfect bone marrow donor will be found and available when needed.
- For her total healing, if she has not already been healed.
- That she will be protected from infection.
- That her cough will completely go away.
- For protection from negative side effects of any kind.
- For her to remain happy, joyful, and at peace.
- That we all have complete confidence in God and that we are clearly hearing from him.
I was having as difficult a time as James was on Thursday. I came home disheartened after talking to the doctors (who, by the way, I am very thankful for). I realized they don't really know any answers for the future. I did hear a voice telling me to not be discouraged. I asked the boys to please pray with and for me and they did individually. I was encouraged. I talked to them about the verse I was memorizing, Psalm 121, and I felt comfort. I realized that nothing the doctors could say would bring me comfort or help; my help comes from the Lord and He will not let my foot slip . . . . I have felt a comfort and peace. I thank you all again for all of the e-mails that encourage and point us back to the truth. That is the only place I am empowered. I did share with Sydney the next day about Psalm 121 and pointed out that God is always watching over us and He never sleeps. She quickly pointed out "He does rest!"
God Bless you all,
1 I lift up my eyes to the hills-where does my help come from?
2 My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.
3 He will not let your foot slip- he who watches over you will not slumber;
4 indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
5 The LORD watches over you- the LORD is your shade at your right hand;
6 the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night.
7 The LORD will keep you from all harm- he will watch over your life;
8 the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.